As an international nursing consultant and the recently retired Executive Secretary to the NY State Board for Nurisng in the Office of the Professions withing New York State, Dr. Barbara Zittel has influenced and continues to influence the nursing profession. This collection contains 39 items consisting of awards and memorabilia items from the professional and personal life of Dr. Barbara Zittel. The collection is composed of primarily plaques, certificates, and awards.
Finding Aid for the Barbara Zittel Memorabilia (MC71)
|VOLUME:||3.0 cubic feet|
|ACQUISITION:||The items in this collection were donated to the Foundation of New York State Nurses by Barbara Zittel on November 17, 2011, and ongoing contributions.|
|ACCESS:||This collection is open to the public by appointment.|
|COPYRIGHT:||Please consult the repository for information about duplication or publishing of any materials from this collection.|
Table of Contents
Barbara Zittel RN, Ph.D. earned an Associates Degree in Applied Sciences in nursing from Queens College, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University at Albany, a Master’s in Nursing Education from Russell Sage College, and a PhD in Educational Psychology with a focus on Testing and Measurement from the University at Albany, SUNY.
Dr. Zittel has served as a senior manager in the Office of the Professions within the New York State Education Department for over 20 years. In her role as the Executive Secretary to the NY State Board for Nursing for 12 years, she held responsibility for the licensure, practice, and discipline of approximately 340,000 licensees. In 2010 she was awarded the opportunity, along with 29 other international nursing leaders, to serve in the International Council of Nurses’ Global Nursing Leadership Institute. She laid the foundational cornerstone for the Board for Nursing’s 2003 motion related to standardizing the educational requirements for RN licensure to the baccalaureate degree. She serves on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s Campaign for Action as a member of the steering committee of the New York State Regional Action Coalition and also as an Action Coalition subcommittee co-lead to advance the ’80/20′ recommendation of the IOM [Institute of Medicine] Future of Nursing Report. She has recently been appointed to serve on the Commission of Graduate of Foreign Nursing School’s (CGFNS) International Educational Institute Committee.
Dr. Zittel’s nursing career has spanned many environments and given her a rich experience. She has worked as a staff nurse in an emergency room and as an instructor at both the Samaritan Hospital School of Nursing and at Russell Sage College (Troy, NY). She is currently an international nursing consultant and an Action Coalition Member of the New York State Institute of Nursing. Dr. Zittel has been honored with many awards over the years; many of them are included in this collection. She has had the opportunity to travel to both Korea and Greece to participate in conferences and speak to nurses; she also speaks on nursing topics throughout the United States. She is a frequent contributor to New York State nursing publications. This is just a brief overview of positions held during her professional career:
- Coordinator of Staff Development at St. Mary’s Hospital 1980-83
- Adjunt Instructor at Russell Sage College 1982-83
- Associate Director of Nursing Education (NYS Nurses Association) 1983-1989
- Executive Secretary to the New York State Boards for Physical Therapy, Podiatry, Respiratory Therapy, and Ophthalmic Dispensing 1994-2001
- Executive Secretary to the State Board of Nursing 2000-2011
- Member of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing 2005-2011
- International Nursing Consultant 2008-present
Throughout her professional career, Dr. Zittel was involved with many oragnizations across the healthcare spectrum both inside and outside New York State. She received awards from many different organizations and institutions. The following list includes all significant organizations (New York State organizations are abbreviated NYS):
- Council of Practical Nursing Program of NYS
- Delta Pi Sigma Theta Tau
- International Council of Nurses
- Korean Nurses Association
- National Academy of Opticianry
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing
- NYS Board for Podiatry
- NYS Board for Respiratory Therapy
- NYS Board for Nursing
- NYS Department of Education
- NYS Nurses Association
- NYS Organization of Nurses Executives
- NYS Physical Therapy Association
- NYS Society for Respiratory Care
Scope and Contents Notes
The collection contains objects and artifacts related to Dr. Zittel’s thirty years of service and activity in the nursing community. It is artifactual in content. The collection is composed of 37 items from Dr. Zittel’s career. Certificates, awards, gifts, and personal possessions compose the majority of the collection which is arranged in two series and is housed in three boxes.
One CD-ROM is present in the collection. One part of an award entered the collection with previous damage. The vase is cracked and is not being housed with the rest of the collection. It will be restricted in access simply for the preservation of the item.
Series 1: Certificates and Awards
This series is comprised of 12 items. Included in this series are wooden and glass awards, framed certificates, and award ceremony pamphlets.
Series 2: Publications and Papers
This series is comprised of 22 items. Included in this series are gifts which Dr. Zittel received from friends and professional associations such as clocks, pins, and figurines, as well as a few personal effects.
Box and Folder List
Series 1: Certificates and Awards
- New York State Board of Nursing Announcement of Scholarship for future students
Thank You Note
- Excelsior College Partner in Lifelong Learning Award Program pamphlet (x2)
New York State Nursing Association Award pamphlet (x2)
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Tau Kappa Chapter Induction Ceremony program, 2012
- Excelsior Folder: Director’s card, college magazine, invitation for award ceremony, RSVP card, cd-rom
- New York Physical Therapy Association Appreciation Award
- Delta Pi Sigma Theta Thau Appreciation Award
- Delta Pi Sigma Theta Thau Distinctive Leadership Award
- Dorothea Hopfer School of Nursing Nurses Leadership Award
- Excelsior College Partner in Lifelong Learning
- New York State Nurses Association Retirement Letter
- New York State Nurses Association Honorary Recognition
- New York State Board for Podiatry Honor Executive Secretary
- International Council of Nurses Global Nurses Leadership Institute
- Council of Practical Nursing Program of New York State Appreciation
- NYONE Leadership Award, 2012
- Nightingale Lamp
- Desk Name Plate
Folder 2: Photographs
Series 2: Objects and Artifacts
|Gertrude B. Hutchinson||June 14, 2012|
|November 20, 2014|
© 2001-2006 Foundation of the New York State Nurses Association, Inc.
© 2006-2017 Foundation of New York State Nurses, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Index code: MC71