The Capital District Nurses Association, District 9 was established along side the New York State Nurses Association in 1919. The district includes Albany, Columbia, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schoharie, Warren and Washington counties. In 2013, the district was renamed Northeastern New York Professional Nurses Organization. Records include: meeting minutes, finances, newsletters, program certificates, handbooks and manuals, and correspondence.
Finding Aid for the New York Counties Registered Nurses Association, District 9, NYSNA, 1937-2013 (MC69)
|VOLUME:||2.5 cubic feet|
|ACQUISITION:||Three donations were made to the CDNA, District 9 Collection in 1989, 2011, and 2014.|
|ACCESS:||This collection is open to the public by appointment.|
|COPYRIGHT:||Please consult the repository for information about duplication or publishing of any materials from this collection.|
Table of Contents
Capital District Nurses Association (CDNA), District 9 was established along side the New York State Nurses Association in 1919. District 9 is one of nineteen district nurses associations that form the New York State Nurses Association (NYSNA). In 2013, the District was renamed North Eastern New York Professional Nurses Organization and became an affiliation of the organization American Nurses Association (ANA). From the beginning, District 9 had strong relationships with local nursing schools, this continues to today. Several major focuses for the District include continuing education programs, management of nurses’ images, recruitment into the profession, and committees for local outreach. Over the span of ninety years membership fluctuated. In the 1940s membership was at an all-time high for District 9 with one thousand members, the mid 1960s saw a major decline to one hundred-fifty-nine members. In the 1980s the District spent more time recruiting members with educational programs led by nationally known speakers.
District 9 hosted the NYSNA convention in 1995. The twenty-first century brought new outreach programs to the Capital District including The Caring and Sharing Committee. Educational program topics included diversity, legal issues in nursing and HIV and the elderly. District 9 has a long history of involvement and professionalism.
PRESIDENTS OF CAPITAL DISTRICT NURSES ASSOCIATION, DISTRICT #9, 1991-2013
Administration of District 9 was a time consuming task. This series includes By Laws that list the goals of the organization and were written in 1998, Standard Operating Policies and Procedures written in 2001, outlining members’ rights and responsibilities. In 2002, the Board applied for Continuing Education Provider Status, the records in this series includes manuals, checklists, and instructions. The series also includes meeting minutes from 1999-2005 [non-inclusive]. During meetings announcements were made and committees would report developments. Some of the announcements included information on The Nine Times, the Caring and Sharing Committee, the Education and Practice Committee, Finance, the LENS committee, and Membership.
Throughout District 9’s operation continuing education opportunities were offered to members. Some of the courses offered included: “HIV and the Elderly” (2000), “Cultural Competence in Healthcare” (2001), “Statewide Peer Assistance Nurses Program: Nurses Helping Nurses with Addictions” (2002), “Disaster Preparedness: Are We Ready?” (2002), “Creating an Evidence-Based Practice Environment for Nursing” (2003), “Smallpox: What you need to know” (2003), “Military and Civilian Nurses Address Healing in this New Age of Bioterrorism” (2003), “The Law and Documentation” (2004), “How New York State Government Impacts the Nursing Profession” (2004), “The History of Murder and Forensic Science” (2005), “Telehomecare” (2005), and “Nursing: Leading the Way to Patient Safety” (2006). Some materials include information delivered in the presentations, statistics on attendance, as well as biographical data regarding the presenter. Linking Education, Nursing, and Seniors (LENS) was a group of volunteer Registered Nurses who talked to the elderly on a variety of topics.
In 1937 the District 9 newsletter was called “Capital Nurses Bulletin.” In the second half of the 20th century, the newsletter was renamed The Nine Times. The newsletter of the new group, North Eastern New York Professional Nurses Organization, has yet to be named. Each edition of The Nine Times included a President’s report. Some editions provided updates on legislation, financial reports, updates on projects and committees like “Caring and Sharing,” announcements about continuing education programs.
Scope and Contents Notes
The collection documents Capital District Nurses Association, District 9, non-inclusively from 1937 through 2013. The records include: meeting minutes, annual reports, finances, newsletters, public relations materials, program certificates, handbooks and manuals, biographical sketches, and correspondence. The collection has four series: administration, programs, publications, and committees.
Series 1: Administration, 1998-2013
This series consists of meeting minutes, handbooks and manuals, annual reports, and financial statements.
Series 2: Programs, 1999-2006
This series consists of certificates of attendance, goals for programs, and evaluations.
Series 3: Publications, 1937-2013This series consists of newsletters, professional journals, and marketing materials.
Series 4: Committees, 2002-2010
This series consists of the Caring and Sharing Annual reports, correspondence, obituaries, guidelines for committees, and newspaper announcements related to the Caring and Sharing program.
Box and Folder List
Series 1: Administration, 1998-2013
- Bylaws 199
- Board of Directors Meeting Agenda June 1998
- Standard Operating Policies and Procedures 2001
- NYSNA 1998 Convention
- NYSNA Application for Continuing Education Provider Status Manual 2001
- NYSNA Application for Continuing Education Provider Status 2002
- NYSNA Provider Status Approval and Manual for Continuing Education 2002
- NYSNA Application for Continuing Education Provider Status 2004
- NYSNA Application for Continuing Education Provider Status Manual 2006
- NYSNA Application for Continuing Education Provider Status Manual 2007
- Audit 2003
- Tax Exemption under Code Section 501© (6) 2003
- Annual Budget June 2005 – August 2007 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes 1999 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes 2000 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes 2001 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes 2002 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes January-June 2003 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes July-December 2003 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes January-June 2004 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes July-December 2004 [non-inclusive]
- Minutes 2005 [non-inclusive]
- Bonnie Wood’s Presidential Folder, 2007-2008 [1 of 2]
- Bonnie Wood’s Presidential Folder, 2007-2008 [2 of 2]
- Manual for Nurses Excellence Award 2008
- Special Meeting Agenda 2013
- The Inimitable Satirist Event Program 1940
- Capital Nurses Bulletin, 1937- 1940
- U.S. Government Printing Office Labor Management Relations Act, 1947
- The Nine Times, 1992- 1993 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 1995- 1996 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 1997- 1999 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2000- 2001 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2002- 2003 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2004- 2005 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2006- 2007 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2008- 2009 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2010- 2011 [non-inclusive]
- The Nine Times, 2012- 2013 [non-inclusive]
- Save the date for CDNA Programs 2000- 2001
- Creative Changes for Continuing Ed., Volumes I and II, 2002- 2003
- The Journal of NYSNA, Spring/ Summer 2006
- New York State Department of Health Publications 2006
- NYSNA Calendar, 2007
- Guidelines for Committee and Council Chairpersons & Board Liaisons 1997
- Caring and Sharing Committee Protocols 2002- 2003
- Caring and Sharing Committee Board Reports 2001- 2002
- Caring and Sharing Committee Annual Reports 2002- 2004
- Caring and Sharing Committee Board Reports 2002- 2004
- Caring and Sharing Committee Reports 2005
- Caring and Sharing Committee Reports 2006- 2007
- Caring and Sharing Committee Reports 2008
- Caring and Sharing Committee Reports 2009- 2010
- Caring and Sharing Committee Correspondence 2000- 2003
- Caring and Sharing Committee Correspondence 2004- 2005
- Caring and Sharing Committee Correspondence 2007- 2009
Language: All materials are in English.
Related Collections: Claire F. Murray Papers and Memorabilia (MC61)
|Subjects||Genre and Form Terms||Geographic Terms (NY)||Names|
Nurses, New York (State)
Nurses, United States History, 20th Century
Nurses, United States History, 21st Century
Nurses, Archival Resources, New York (State)
Nursing, New York (State)
Nursing, New York (State), History
Nursing, New York (State), Societies, History
| Minutes (Records)
Handbooks and Manuals
Accruals: Further accruals and additions to the collection are expected.
Additional Resources: Northeast New York Professional Nurses Organization, Inc. http://nnypno.com/
© 2001-2006 Foundation of the New York State Nurses Association, Inc.
© 2006-2017 Foundation of New York State Nurses, Inc.
Index code: MC69